Communication has changed in the past few years and as a result, highly flexible communications are needed. For that very reason, softphones are the most in-demand business communication tool on the market.
Softphones, or soft clients, are SIP-based virtual phone lines that offer instant mobility for your teams.
Softphones are cost-effective because no new hardware is needed. Equipped with this feature, your team can bring their business landline anywhere.
Read on to learn what a softphone for business is and why you need one.
- What is a Softphone?
- How Does a Softphone Work?
- Cost Savings
- Enhanced Communications
- Improved Functionality
What is a Softphone?
Soft clients are solutions that add a landline number to mobile phones or computers. This works by creating a virtual software-driven phone.
On top of calls, soft clients offer a range of business features. These features can include call recording, call transfer and much more. We’ll do a deeper dive later in this post.
SIP-based phones need an internet connection to make and receive calls. Cellular internet works but WiFi is more reliable.
Softphone systems are available as an app or as web-based soft clients. You can also get open source softphones. Soft client apps typically offer the most features and are more suitable for businesses.
Essentially, softphones enable employees to make calls without a desk phone. Therefore, no longer requiring people to be tied to their desks at work. This makes soft clients great for travelling salespeople or large office spaces. They are a great hybrid working tool, allowing teams to be more mobile and flexible.
How does a Softphone Work?
A softphone works the same as a VoIP phone.
Soft clients are powered using VoIP technology. So all you need is an internet connection. Oh, and don’t forget your mobile phone or computer.
Wondering how to use a softphone? It’s easy!
- Pick a VoIP provider who offers a softphone as standard. They’ll give you a number and access.
- Download a softphone app on mobile (Android or iOS) or computer (Windows or Mac).
- Log in with the user name and password you received from your provider.
- Make and receive calls to your mobile. Use a dial pad or click to call contacts. It works just like a regular desk phone!
Mobile installation is like any other mobile app. Just download from your app store. The Blueface Softphone App is available on iOS and Android. The familiar interface and dial pad make for easy use and provide unrivalled access to your business phone.
Softphones for Business: 7 Reasons Why You Should Consider It
Demand is high for mobile communications as remote and hybrid working continues to grow in every sector. A softphone system offers businesses a versatile portable business phone.
83% of skilled workers with access to flexible IT policies are satisfied. -Deloitte
If you’re wondering whether softphones are right choice for your business, here are some of the key features that may help you decide:
Mobile On-Net Calls
Internal Extension Dialling
HD Call Conferencing
Remote Device Management
In addition to these, let’s take a deep dive into some of the broader Softphone advantages.
Here are 7 reasons why you should consider softphones for your business:
Work from home and hybrid working has become the new normal. So, businesses are now faced with a new challenge. — meeting this change with supporting technology.
48% expressed a desire to be fully remote. 44% of employees favoured hybrid working. -Remote Work & Compensation Pulse Survey
One of the top reasons to consider a SIP softphone is portability. Softphones offer business communications in your pocket.
You can take your business landline anywhere, as long as you have an internet connection.
Soft clients can also be added to call flows. So, if you are out of the office, you can catch it with softphone call forwarding.
Global on-net calls allow worldwide teamwork. Simply dial your teammate’s extension! It treats global extension dialling as internal calls.
2. Accessibility & Flexibility
Ease of use and access will help your business adopt soft clients.
Whether your employees use Android, iPhone, Windows or Mac – mobile apps are easy to install and use.
Most cloud phone system providers will allow you to manage softphones remotely. Blueface adds an extra layer of access with the UC Portal.
Your business can add new softphones, reassign them to new users and change how they work in call flows. Softphones can be part of multi-device flows and can be activated based on time of day.
Blueface tracks all calls made to and from softphones to manage use. Reporting is a key feature for always-on business devices.
Another benefit to the softphone is always-on connectivity. Get your business landline in your pocket.
Small and medium businesses miss around 62% of calls. Missed calls can lead to missed income and reputation loss. By using softphones, you can cut out downtime or lost revenue.
Answer all those important calls by leveraging call Forwarding. Take the flexibility of answering calls from your preferred device. As well as this, save on costs. There is no extra charge on global call transfer to your softphone app!
4. Cost Savings
Softphones deliver cost-effective business communications. To start, mobile softphones are included in every Blueface plan.
- No hardware or maintenance: New VoIP phones and PBX maintenance can be expensive. Cloud phone systems are fully managed by your provider. Softphones do not need new hardware. As a result, no maintenance and less capital expense.
- Global On-Net Calls: Reach your teammates without international call costs. Local extension options make it easy to reach anyone, anywhere for free. Businesses can save €1,500 per month on mobile and long-distance calls using softphones.
- BYOD: Are you a start-up or SME? Supplying your team members with devices can be costly. Softphone enables a BYOD policy. Your teams can easily add business communications to their devices.
- No Line Rental: Ireland has one of the highest line rental costs in Europe. Switching from old line-based phones to VoIP will help you save money.
As an extra cost-saving feature, Blueface offers unlimited calls to Irish landlines as standard.
5. Enhanced Communications
Communication tools work better together. You can add your softphone and business phone to the same call flow. You can also add multiple softphones to the same number for group calling.
A Softphone can help bridge the gap between teams in different locations. Features like HD Call Conferencing create one-click group calls from your web browser so that you can join conferences from mobile or desktop in one click!
You can sync all of your business contacts with the Blueface Mobile and Desktop App. This adds simple click-to-call functionality for quick outreach.
6. Improved Functionality
Don’t halt your team’s productivity with outdated systems. A VoIP softphone can boost operational efficiency. In fact, softphones offer so much more than calls.
- Call Recording: Record incoming calls directly from your mobile phone. Review and download calls using your provider’s dashboard.
- Unified Voicemail: Never miss another voice message. Get direct access to your voicemails through your softphone.
- Virtual Receptionist: Add a custom greeting or special offers to calls on any device. Greet and guide customers to the right department every time. Maintain great customer service regardless of the type of phone you use!
- Call Transfer: Transfer and merge calls with a softphone. Blueface offers a cloud console that shows who is on a call so the transfer won’t hit a voicemail.
On top of that, all calls are added to detailed real-time reports. You can view call reports on the Blueface UC Portal or export data for local review.
Growing businesses plan for success.
You may not have the budget to buy an estate of new hardware. It’s a good thing that soft clients can be added to your account as you need them. There are no installation or maintenance fees.
Onboarding across multiple locations can cost time and money. That’s why being able to add mobile phones remotely is a huge advantage.
Softphone apps are now a business communication cornerstone. Remain competitive by keeping your people connected, no matter where they are!
Softphones offer high-quality calls, essential features and can be added at a much lower capital price. Offer your teams mobility and enhanced SIP-based connectivity.
Blueface provides a full Unified Communication suite. These include video conferencing and screen sharing. Blueface even can turn the popular video calls platform, MS Teams into a softphone.
Learn more about our mobility boosting softphone app here.
Still have lingering questions on whether softclients are the right fit for your business?
Contact our team of business mobility experts for more information today!